Computer Upgrade
  • ErlingErling March 2008
    My computer's hardware is having obvious hardware issues (crashes and such, driver issues on Vista with old parts and so on).

My current setup is a Rad9800 Pro (256meg), P4 2.4 HT (800FSB) and 2G of RAM.

Mainly all I really play on here is WoW, Warcraft III and such. Performance is slowly degrading and has only been worsened by Vistas resource needs. I would like to upgrade cheaply but still have a machine that could run some of the newer games if I so feel the need (Not on max settings and such fine but playable - my computer is having trouble with WoW after the BC video upgrades).

My case is fine (although it needs some dusting). So, what I need:

Motherboard: Intel BLKDP965LTCK LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - OEM ($94.99).
    I almost always have splurged on motherboards for whatever reason, this would probably be the cheapest I've ever bought.

Video Card: XFX PVT88SFDF4 GeForce 8800GS 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail ($159.99).
    As with CPUs I've fallen so far out of the loop I have no idea what's good but not still expensive as it's too close to top of the line.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6850 - Retail ($279.99).
    While I do want to spend less money I do like the idea of my processor lasting the longest as it generally requires a new Motherboard when you replace it.

RAM: Kingston HyperX 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX6400D2K2/4G - Retail ($199.99).
    I added this to my wishlist when they had a great deal on it, it's quite a bit more expensive now.

I would love to be spending more like $400 on this adventure so if someone who knows more about the newer technology and what's the best "bang-for-your-buck" but still good enough for my needs could run through these and pull up better items that would be amazing!

Primary Uses (via Vista): Media player, Photoshop (Maybe it's best I stick with 4g of RAM for this alone?), older games.
  • NunesNunes March 2008
    There is no way you need 4 gigs of ram to run photoshop and listen to music. you can cut a hundred bucks out right there by going with 2 gigs.
    o CORSAIR 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory [$45.00]

You also don't need a 3 GHz processor ... that's way overkill. There's a pretty big jump in price between 2 and 2.4 ghz with the Core 2 Duo thingers so you wanna probably hit this part somewhere in that range. Otherwise it's a big unnecessary hit.
    o Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor [$125.00]

That saves $155.00 on the ram and another $155.00 on the processor. For a total savings of $310.00 That brings you a bit closer to 400. I think that works out to $425.00
  • ScabdatesScabdates March 2008
    QUOTE (Erling @ Mar 6 2008, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    My computer's hardware is having obvious hardware issues (crashes and such, driver issues on Vista with old parts and so on).

Primary Uses (via Vista): Media player, Photoshop (Maybe it's best I stick with 4g of RAM for this alone?), older games.

Well there's your problem. image/laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />
  • CheezzypoofCheezzypoof March 2008
    you could always buy a lower end dual core chip and overclock it
    QUOTE (Scabdates @ Mar 9 2008, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Well there's your problem. image/laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Can't say I've had a single issue with Vista that didn't stem from my extremely old sound card.
  • GachiGachi March 2008
    I've had no issues with Vista either.. Been using it for well over a year.
    Update on a videocard? I have no idea the model number progressions anymore so it's hard to find a place to start looking.

I really want one that supports 1366x768 (Native of my TV)!

Just need to be able to play WoW, some newer stuff nothing fancy like Crysis though.

Multitasking for me is key though (I'm an alt+tab abuser).
    halp with a videocard please image/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />
  • ebolaebola March 2008
    I think most cards will recognize that resolution.
  • GachiGachi March 2008
    Erling, contact a card manufacturer. Tell them what you need and I'm sure they can offer solutions to your problem.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership